View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #1359
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Agreed our back-line was an issue in the Gold Cup, but Zator is not at that level. No chance.
I suspect you are probably right, and I wasn't endorsing that Zator is a Canada NT starter, just noting their comments.

That said, I don't think there's a dramatic talent gap between guys like Zator and Chung, and some of the more marginal call ups like Godinho and Morgan. Hell, Morgan bounced between TFC and TFC II, and Godinho played in Scottish League Two last season.

Their point was that Herdman needs to try these guys out in friendlies, etc. to at very least push the current guys. Really, until CanPL teams get regular games against other leagues, it's tough to say how they really stack up. Even these next few games for Forge, York, Cavs and HFX against MLS, USL and Liga Guatemala teams might not be indicative on their own.

With players individually, you'll never know if you don't play enough friendlies and try more players out.

To use a hockey analogy, if someone told you 10-12 years ago that Giordano would develop into a Norris trophy defenseman, you'd think that person was certifiable.

Canada has a relatively shallow player pool, so there isn't much to lose in trying them out. Playing Davies out of position like that was really quite silly. I get why it was tried (though should have been tried and shelved in a friendly), but it threw off the entire balance when they faced a good counter.

Last edited by Thunderball; 07-03-2019 at 02:46 PM.