View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #1033
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Rational people can possess the ability to both be critical of microtransactions and of the neckbeareded losers complaining about the increasingly inclusive representation of females in video games. Wild stuff, I know.
That doesn't seem to be what's happening. Not surprisingly given the general lack of nuance in any subject that becomes political, people who are on the outside of the hobby create a monolithic representation of what they think being a "gamer" represents, and it's dominated by the caricature painted in the wake of gamergate.

Video game companies seem to have capitalized on this, playing up the "culture wars" aspects while downplaying the frankly evil, tobacco-companyesque business practices that currently drive the industry, often with the help of certain water-carrying "reviewers" who are essentially industry propagandists who could make the Oilers media blush.

Anyway, it's not my hobby, so I don't care if it's a totally screwed up subculture, aside from the exploitation of kids (and even there, first world problems etc etc). But it is interesting to see how easily the narrative is manipulated. It doesn't take a whole lot of time to pull back that veil, either, but understandably, unless it's a pastime you care about in more than a passing sense, you can't be arsed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: