View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #52
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This team didn't fail because Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik was our 2nd line.
I think it contributed to us failing. I think Frolik is best suited as an elite 3rd line two-way shut down guy. And frankly I think Backlund is best suited for that as well. I think on a contending team that is where those guys would ideally slot.

Jankowski was a rookie so I understand why you might work him in slowly. Bennett maybe didn't earn a top two line role. But the only way the team last year was going to contend is if we got depth scoring. And Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway was never going to be another scoring line. But if you sprinkle Bennett and Jankowski throughout the lineup with the veterans there's a chance they succeed and actually put up some numbers.

Last summer I was calling for Tkachuk to be moved off that line in order to drive his own line and spread out of the offence. Instead they stacked the top two lines which IMO contributed to why the 3rd line failed. Backlund and Frolik ended up playing more like elite 3rd liners (which is what I think they are) and therefore all the lines outside the 1st line underperformed.

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Bennett might've worked.

Spreading out the young guys might've been the best strategy.

Tkachuk-Monahan-Bennett
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer/Versteeg/Lazar

Sure there would've been some growing pains with that kind of lineup. But the upside was to have two scoring lines and an elite shutdown line. Instead Glen put Bennett and Jankowski in a really hard place to succeed by having to carry their own line instead of being a complimentary skilled player to two more veteran skilled guys.

Be interesting to see if the next coach tries some different combos.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 04-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: