View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #1128
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Here are some conclusions Darryl Sutter has come to:

You look back to the 2004 Flames and you realize Darryl's been all about shot generation and shot suppression that far back. That "Cinderella Underdog Team" that Kipper Carried? They had a shots for percentage of 52%.

Call it corsi, call it shots, call it shot attempts, call it "Aggressive 2-1-2", call it "size" it doesn't matter. Teams that have the puck win more games than teams that don't have the puck. And that can be small teams like the Lightning and Blackhawks too. Corsi is just one way to measure it.

You look at the corsi of Flames teams during Darryl's reign you had:

2008 Flames - 52.5 (5th)
2009 Flames - 55.7 (2nd)
2010 Flames - 51.9 (9th) (SUtter stepped down in December)

I think Darryl was using internal possession analytics long before "corsi" became a thing.
I believe this is a great example. Something tells me that Darryl is not looking at Corsi, shot suppression and advanced stats. But he coaches a style that focuses on playing "heavy" and controlling the puck. So the stats follow the style and approach.

When you start measuring individual players with these stats is when I get a little more skeptical. There is some value but I would be wary of placing too much emphasis on it.