View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #4259
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

See, I've always interpreted roguelite to have to do with relaxing a little on the permadeath aspect of things - like it's not a blank slate if you're dead.

Metroidvania is a good comparison though. I mean, basically every metroidvania game that I've played or seen is actually very, very much like Metroid or Castlevania. Whereas games described as roguelikes have almost nothing in common with Rogue (or each other, frankly) as an experience.

It's not worth getting worked up about or anything, I'm not even a big fan of the genre (whatever you might think the genre entails) I just find it confusing that this term, which has essentially no utility in terms of telling you about the gaming experience you're about to have, seems to be a thing everyone wants to use. Just describe the game, don't compare it to something it's completely different from, that's just unhelpful.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote