View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #1
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Troubleshooting a video card

Was playing a game earlier tonight and the computer lost all power (the power cord gets loose occasionally). It's happened before, so reseated the cord and turned the computer back on and was met with nothing but a black screen / no input signal on my monitor.

After a trying a bunch of stuff, including reseating the video card, trying the other PCI slot, I ended up grabbing my older video card out of my last PC and stuck it in the first PCI slot.

Sure enough, stuff is showing up on my monitor now. The other video card is still slotted in the second PCI slot, but looking up devices in the control panel, the computer does not show it; only the older one is listed.

Does this mean that the card is dead? There were zero symptoms of the card going bad, it's not that old (~3 years) and I wasn't overclocking it or even really pushing it super hard. It's a Radeon 480 8GB so I don't think a game like FF14 would really stretch it's capabilities.

My other thought was the power supply, since that was one of the possibilities online for my initial symptoms. The older card I put it doesn't require enough power to go through the power supply while the newer one does and I'd rather replace the cheaper part first.

Thanks
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote