View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #1938
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
My almost-3 year old is starting to show interest in games now and asks all the time to either "Save the fairies" (Super Mario 3D World) or "Save Luigi from the ghosts" (Luigi's Mansion). She usually want to try playing for a few minutes but can't grasp the controls yet, usually just pushes the stick in one direction until she hits a wall or falls off the map, then she gets frustrated and gives me the controller back. I've tried showing her how the controls work but it's just not something she can grasp yet. Are there any non-mobile games out there designed to help kids learn modern game controls?
Kirby: Star Allies is genius for this. It was my kid's first video game when he was three -- it explains all the controls during the levels with pictographs instead of reading, slowly builds up, and is laughably easy with the AI companions it gives you (until the final boss at the end, yeesh).

Mario Odyssey was good this way too, he played the heck out of it from about 3.5 years old onward. Games that show you how to play instead of tell you, are very forgiving, and don't stress kids out with punishing time limits or high difficulty. All they need real help with is the boss fights.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: