Thread: Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well my fear is that we've seen this before. It's unfortunately not a new tactic from dictatorships where the protests gain momentum and it might appear as though they are going to make some inroads. Then they call in the tanks and quell a generation of activists (to put it mildly). I was among the naive watching the Tiananmen Square protests thinking that "even the army is standing by watching, so this could be a huge change!" My political science professor, who really was a brilliant guy, explained that there was never a chance and that this is an old playbook.

I'm really sad for the people in Hong Kong. I hope it doesn't play out that way, and it's a situation where I would be so glad to be proven wrong!
Not sure it really matters though unless it happens in China. No one is stepping in and attempting to allow Hong Kong to be independent when it reverts totally back to China in 27 years (maybe sooner).

Not only that but from what I read its already a much different place than it was pre-1997. The economy has shifted significantly to the mainland.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote