Thread: Estate Planning
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Lawyers don’t just “type what you say”, and make more $ fixing home-made wills than drafting proper wills.

What you want in your will is a Trust for your minor children, managed by an Executor you trust. They can take $ out of the trust before they are adults to help with their maintenance and education.
I did not mean to offend. I was just stating that there is a difference between estate planning and drafting of the will. There is a lawyer in my office that does wills on the side, but I wouldn't book an appointment with her until I have a good idea of what I want as I don't believe she can really help me decide what I really want. It is kind of like how you don't engage a lawyer in a house purchase when you are in the early stages of shopping and don't know if you want a condo or farm. They typically just come in at the end of the process to cross the t's dot the lower case j's. I'm sure some lawyers do estate planning (or act as a realtor), but not all.

The trust does sound like the right approach. What I need to do is sit down with my sister and discuss how she would approach things. She might be downsizing soon as her kids are done university. So I would like to give her the option of taking ownership of my house. That way the kids don't have to move. It would be more like a sitcom where parents get recast.
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post: