View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #63
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I would actually say that Treliving hasn't gone all-in yet. Smith has been the exception to the rule this off-season, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

The rest of his moves have involved either trading picks for established but young players (Stone, Hamilton, Hamonic, Lazar) or trading older players for picks (Glencross, Hudler) or trading older prospects for slightly younger prospects/picks (Granlund and Baertschi).

Smith is the definite exception. Elliott was SUPPOSED to work out and stick around a number of years as well last year.

I would classify 'all-in' when a team starts trading futures for a 'win now' mentality. Calgary I believe is still hovering around 'be a favorite for the playoffs and try to make noise'.

I do agree that trading Backlund away does indeed go against the grain there, either for a 'win-now' or a 'win in a few seasons' standpoint.

It will be interesting to see how Treliving adjusts to a compete 'win now' mode.
Treliving has a good job of using picks to supplement his core, but I would argue that it is indeed "win now" mode for the current core guys.

My caveat being that "win now" is a 3-4 maybe even 5 year window.

Giordano isn't going to last more then a few years.
The D-core contracts mostly expire in 3-4 years and then we will be talking increased pay for potentially flat or declining play.
Monahan and Gaudreau will likely be at the most productive point in their careers over the next 3-4 seasons. If they don't win with Gaudreau in the next 5 years on a great contract, they probably aren't going to win with him when he gets paid almost double for the same or lesser production on his next contract.
Backlund could start to fade in 3-4 seasons.

Now, the Flames can easily make moves to change their core over the next 3-4 seasons. Guys could emerge or guys like Bennett and Tkachuk may go supernova. Calgary could be in win now mode for 8-10 year. Maybe more.

But in terms of winning with ALL of the guys that are currently their best players:
Gaudreau
Monahan
Backlund
Giordano
Hamilton
Brodie

If the Flames are going to do something with this entire group of guys, they have to do it in the next 3-4 years IMO. From 2017-2019 they have only 3 picks in the top 3 rounds of the draft. So I think they are essentially "all-in" with this current group.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 07-17-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post: