View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1963
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah this is exactly what boosters have been doing for years. Frankly I'm sure it would be easy enough to circumvent the cap rules doing this. But this seems to be a college sports phenomenon, where there are way too many rich people who seem to care way too much how their college football team does. And although the $'s can get big, I don't think even elite college athletes are getting millions of $'s under the table like this.
definitely... Forensic accounting will eventually catch up with you if your payouts to kids begins to really float a lifestyle not at all possible by a college athlete...

that's one of the biggest reasons the values are lower than what we are talking about with Jagr... Reggie Bush got caught, IIRC, cause an agent bought his mom a nice pad in LA, or was letting he stay there rent free during Bush's USC days...

the SEC is smart: 100 dollar handshakes is the way to do it... Not to mention the NCAA is basically spineless and will look the other way, since they don't have subpoena power, athletes can simply refuse to cooperate until they bolt to the NFL...

Sorry... didn't mean to derail the thread. Just a pet peeve of mine...

Back to Jagr - there are way too many eyes out there for cap circumvention to work and the numbers are much to big to hide... Joe fan could try to do it, but I am sure the other teams would put the brakes on it very quickly as its against the spirit of the salary cap, which is to create competitive balance.