View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Matthew Phillips again. I think people are really under valuing him. 50 goals in any league is amazing.
Counterpoint: guys like Rob Schremp, Steve Ott, and Dave Bolland scored 50 goals in the OHL and looked to have promising careers, only to end up being borderline NHLers. There is a much longer list of prospects in that league who scored 50 and never even had a sniff at the NHL.

The WHL has fewer 50 goal scorers, but those who do it aren't guaranteed success in the NHL or anything. Such standouts as Mitch Holmberg, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Emerson Etem, Brandon Shinnimin, Ty Rattie haven't done anything in the NHL yet. Hell, Hunter Shinkaruk had 49 one year and he's struggling to stay in the AHL long term.

Add to that, Phillips is tiny. I mean smaller than Gaudreau and not on his level for skill. I think he's a long shot to make the NHL for any length of time.

Edit: I forgot to add one of our biggest busts: Ryan Howse; who scored 47 and 51 back to back years. The guy couldn't even hack the AHL for conditioning.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 07-13-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: