View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 12:45 PM   #1086
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Canada has our own systemic racism for sure, and I agree that a lot of it is directed to indigenous populations. I think it's less aggressive than in the United States and other countries but it still exists.

In terms of the police brutality aspect of this systemic racisim I do think in Canada we have better monitoring and intake policies but still improvement can be made.

I think one big problem across the world with Police (and military for that matter) is you have two large groups of people that work in those forces.

1) People that actually want to "Serve and Protect", and they view policing and military work as something that's done to protect people and actually fight true criminals and look out for their community

or

2) People that were bullies. That like the idea of power and being "the law" and want to use the force and power to feel bigger, stronger, and better than those around them. They want to use that force to feel better about themselves and treat it like an adrenaline rush.

I think in Canada we have a better mix of "1s" compared to "2s" in our police force, and it's why we don't see as many issues as they do in the US. But in the US I think the problem is it's more "2s" that are joining policing, and as that mix continues to flood the departments it just makes things like this worse.

It's why you see these fragile ego cops in some of those videos posted on the previous page who can't handle people standing up to them or talking down to them, and the only response is to lash out physically.

The other thing that has made it worse in the U.S. is the full militarization of their police forces. It's crazy how at the drop of the hat these cities appear to be able to have full riot/military grade gear for their entire police force. Using rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray, etc with no fear of repercussions because they feel like it's their right. The country didn't have face shields or PPE for doctors/nurses, but they were able to have all their police force in full body shields in minutes.

Man it's really frustrating as a society to see stuff like this happen, and yet somehow people still see things like "Not Being Racist" and "White Privilege" as controversial. Time for people to truly start stamping this out, and really it all starts with us white people confronting, and calling people out when they are being racist to minorities of any kind. Silence is not an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: