View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #317
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
There is an option on the website HERE, but from my experience, I have it clicked to disable HD streaming, and I still get HD quality on my AppleTV and PS3. Not sure if it's just computer streaming, or all streaming, and I'm just easy to please.
I finally had a chance to disable HD on the web site and test it out on my PS3, and sure enough, my quality maxes out High-SD and doesn't go into HD. 5.1 audio was still present.

I don't have an Apple TV, but my assumption is that when HD is disabled on the web site, the setting is reflected on all devices. Maybe you want to check it out again to confirm, Prototype?

Keeping in mind that I'm on a 40" or 42" TV, but the quality difference is negligible. SD Netflix > SD cable TV. The 16:9 aspect ratio is, of course, maintained, and the bandwidth usage will be considerably less. For me, this is definitely the way to go. I'm not afraid of going over my Shaw cap, but the quality (on my TV) is definitely not twice as good to justify twice the bandwidth for HD.

For those of you who are going to be up against your cap, I would highly recommend this. Especially if aspect ratio and 5.1 are more important than the extra pixels.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote