View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly View Post
Wow, perfect timing for this thread to pop up since I'm wrestling with this decision with my son right now. He's just seven years old (first-year Novice) and is only interested in playing hockey. Personally I think mixing it up is healthier for a kid, but when I ask him about playing other sports like soccer he just rolls his eyes and says 'boring'. He's played soccer in the past but he was never as engaged in it as he is with hockey. I mentioned that there is a spring hockey league he can play in and that pretty much made his mind up.

I don't mind spending the cash on it since he truly loves playing it right now, and if he 'burns out' on hockey in a few years and wants to try something else, good for him, as long as he has something else to stay interested in.

Plus I love watching him play and truly enjoy competing in a sport. I'd watch my kid play a game vs watching a Flames game any day.

A sport in the spring that can shake it up and have some transferable skills like hand-eye coordination and always moving with your head up that the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Joe Nieuwendyk and Joe Sakic all played?

Not to mention if the hockey thing doesn't work out, there are many scholarships to be had south of the border as well.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post: