View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #64
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
A friend of mine was telling me a few weeks ago about police auctions and getting the lower end Rolex's for $700 and whatnot. My experience with police auctions (with cars atleast), is that they are a scam. I don't know about smaller items like jewellery, but big ticket items such as cars, are just a load of crap.
The Federal Auction are supposed to be from Bank seisures, foreclosures, and so on. There was a Rolex that went for huge money (fully diamond studded. Not my cup o' tea). There was one watch I was interested in. No one reqested it be put up for bid (they only auction the items people request). Closer to the end, the auctioneer said if there were any items that hadn't been put up for bid yet, to request them. Since many people had already left and this item hadn't been requested yet, I asked for it and hoped there wasn't a reserve on it (some things did, some didn't). When the watch finally went up, first bid was my max bid, and it went up from there. C'est la vie.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote