View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #18
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

What strikes me about Mangiapane is his vastly improved play throughout the season all over the ice. Defensively, his game has seen significant growth. I was surprised when Peters started keeping him in the lineup as I didn't think that he was strong enough defensively for a bottom 6 role. What really impressed me was his play down the stretch and into the playoffs where he suddenly found the confidence to start holding onto pucks longer and have more patience with his shot. He definitely started showing a lot more creativity, and this leads me to believe that he could very well pan out as a top 6 option.

I think it will be a revolving door of wingers and line combinations again this year - maybe especially so given that I think Frolik will eventually get traded to free up cap space this off-season, and Neal being dealt. You have Czarnik, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett and maybe even Jankowski (assuming Lindholm is a center) as wingers moving around the lineup around established pairs.

Who are the established pairs?

Gaudreau - Monahan
Tkachuk - Lindholm

If Lindholm stays as the top-line RW, I would actually like to see a 2nd line of Tkachuk - Bennett - Mangiapane for a stretch and finally close the book on the whole "Is Bennett a centre or a winger", as I feel that Bennett under Gulutzan was not properly utilized or developed. Maybe a stretch of 30 games or so.

Either way, I do think that Mangiapane should be in that conversation to get a long look as a top 6 winger, but perhaps ease him in as a third line winger on either side and see how he responds.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: