View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have always felt the way him and the way the Flames parted ways was interesting. In the the interviews he has given regarding the book he has mentioned that Ken King told him they were going a different direction in February.

He had always talked about wanting to be in Calgary for 10 years, bringing home a cup etc. I think ownership at the time felt that they were not getting much in the way of value with him and decided to part ways.

The Flames missed the playoffs, Gully was a disaster, Brouwer signing was terrible and many many more issues.

I have always wondered how conversations with ownership and management go when deals or moves happen that don't make sense at the time and then turn into disasters later on.

I know a lot of fans like to think the business aspects don't matter as much but generally speaking, the type of mistakes that happen with sports aren't allowed to happen with the same frequency in business.

I have always liked Burke, think he's a good man and a good hockey mind. I do think he had an excellent situation that led to a cup win with the Ducks in 07 and kind of rode that success to other markets like Toronto and Calgary.

His straight talking, in your face bluster and draft day moves earned him a large rep of being a massive winner but a deeper dive of his body of work over his career show his team's weren't all that great.

Still like the guy and will read the book.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote