View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #426
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I just finished the Vision miniseries by Tom King. I’d heard it was great but was not expecting that at all. It’s wild and well worth a read.
Tom King has the market cornered on Marvel and DC prestige miniseries. It's a formula that works for him and his collaborators.

I went into an honest to god comic store today for the first time in quite a while. Picked up three trade paperbacks:

Heavy Vinyl: Y2KO!

It's 1999 and Chris is living her dream: working at Vinyl Destination by day and fighting for (musical) justice by night in the world's coolest teen girl vigilante fight club, and playing in a band during her free time. * When the girls enter a Battle of The Bands, they learn that the shadowy corporate masters of the music industry plan to destroy the fledgling world of digital music and blame it on Y2K.

I've enjoyed Carly Usdin's writing and she writes teen coming of age kind of stories very well. Plus I like the clean art style Nina Vakueva brings to the book.

The Old Guard Volume 2: Force Multiplied

When you’ve waged war as long as Andy and her squad, you’ve gotten your hands more than bloody. Now, the day has come to confront the sins of the past. But as Nile struggles to make peace with the team, the last person Andy ever expected to see again returns to challenge not only what Andy believes in, but what the team is willing to fight for.

I'm a noted Greg Rucka fan. I loved the original series that was adapted into the Netflix movie. I loved the Netflix movie that released earlier this summer. And I loved this sequel volume in the planned 3 volume story. Leo Fernandez has a cartoony style that takes getting used to. But this story and these characters are truly enjoyable.

Crowded Volume 2

After escaping a televised attempt on their lives and blowing past two million bucks in their REAPR campaign, Charlie and Vita abandon Los Angeles for the desert paradise Las Vegas in search of answers. But between the human debris of Charlie’s past and the well-kept secrets of Vita’s old life, the only thing less likely than Charlie and Vita surviving their REAPR campaign is them surviving each other.

I can't say enough good things about Crowded. The story is kinetic, the sight gags and art are tremendous, and the premise is not so close to home as to be eery or depressing (well, not too much).
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: