Thread: [PGT] Leafs 2 Flames 1
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 01:01 AM   #329
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Let's be honest. Both positions are valid. The data point can be used to make either argument, just a matter of choosing which one supports one's position.

Argument 1: The failure of this same core under 4 different coaches suggests coaching isn't the problem, the players are
Argument 2: The failure of 4 different coaches with this same roster suggests this team is hiring the wrong type of coach

Same data point. Opposite arguments. Both valid.

What I don't understand is how can be so locked in that you can't see how the information can be rationally used to argue for either position. So instead you default to "must be a defense mechanism".

Again for the record - I don't like the coach or the roster.

So my answer is a bit of a long one, but pretty darn simple. I will use data from the past couple of decades which may help. And this data shows pretty easily that coaches impact player performance

Without even elaborating on the strengths, weaknesses, and the general objectives of each coach, I will lay out the data of Iggy, Kipper, the coach, and whether or not they made the playoffs

Coaches make a big difference between potential and actual achievement, individual and collective. Living in Calgary, we have seen a number of coaches of various styles, with other variables remaining constant

Look at Iginla’s point achievements. He emerged as a force in 2001-02, winning the Art Ross and Rocket Richard. Basically a premiere power forward in the conversation for best player in the game

Subsequently, point totals under various head coaches varied.
Also, let’s add in Kipper’s stats, and group by playoff and non playoff years

Playoff years
2003-04: Iggy: 73 pts, Kipper: 1.70, .933
2005-06: Iggy: 67 pts, Kipper: 2.07, .923
2006-07: Playfair: Iggy: 94 pts, Kipper: 2.46, .917
2007-08: Keenan: Iggy: 98 pts, Kipper: 2.69, .906
2008-09: Keenan: Iggy: 89 pts, Kipper: 2.84, .903

Non playoff years
2009-10: Brent: Iggy: 69 pts, Kipper: 2.31, .920
2010-11: Brent: Iggy: 86 pts, Kipper: 2.63, .906
2011-12: Brent: Iggy: 67 points, Kipper: 2.35, .921

2012-13: Hartley: Iggy: 22 points in 31 games, traded . Kipper: “#### this”

It’s really pretty much crystal clear.

The “it’s the players, not the coach” position you are trying to bring forward with false equivalency loses.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote