View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #603
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Has anyone ever actually gotten in trouble for a single unwelcome advance at an appropriate time or is this a thing that men are now over thinking.

I mean attempting a kiss at the end of a date
Asking someone out
Sending a dick Pick on a dating website

I have not seen any women in any #metoo post or conversation complain of being harassed by a person for trying to kiss them on a date or asking a person out or even making any kind of next move.

I think this is a natural fear based response of men but isn't actually happening.
It's a natural response to what some branches of feminism are preaching and that could easily become mainstream. If it's not good thinking, if a "rule" is unsound, then the the rule should be changed. Trusting that the rules will not be enforced is a liability and a poor substitute. Right now the rule I see being being advocated is "do not do anything without asking first, and that includes asking". This is an obviously stupid rule which would've completely ended procreation if it existed before Tinder. It needs to go away.

A few things that are memorable to me:

Elevatorgate
. A man says to a woman, "Don't take this the wrong way, but I find you very interesting, and I would like to talk more. Would you like to come to my hotel room for coffee?" She posts a vlog saying she didn't appreciate it and "Guys, don't do this".

That in itself is not cause for alarm. If it's merely an expression of personal preference, fine. What concerns me are the people who think she was somehow violated. He asked for consent (to share space and a coffee), got declined, respected the decline, did not persist, and did not harm her in any way except for how the question made her feel. Other than her feelings, that is exactly how asking for consent is supposed to work. I pointed this out to a friend on Facebook, and apparently that was such an egregious offense that I was promptly unfriended. You get enough people thinking like the person who unfriended me, and even if things aren't "actually happening", they will start to happen.

But hey, you don't even have to hit on someone for them to make you pay for it. The "Dongle" joke. Someone made a big joke about a "big dongle" at a tech developer conference and got fired over it. So I think you have to respect the sense of walking on eggshells, because these things do happen, and because where they aren't happening yet, you can see the pattern of thinking that leads to where they will.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: