View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 05:27 PM   #57
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Most people sit 10 to 12 feet from their TV. At that distance, on a screen less than 80", your eyes become the lower resolution device. Even at 7 feet from the screen on your 55" you're not close enough to get the full benefit of all those extra pixels. For the way most people set up their living rooms and the size of TV most people have, it's essentially a gimmick.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yngmbw...placement.html

Regardless, the sheer quality of your OLED is going to make a bigger difference to your viewing experience than the resolution you're looking at.
I mean, I guess so. This "Hey, I've really noticed the difference 4K makes on my TV now" vs. "Nah, you aren't actually seeing any difference there, it's a visual sugar pill" conversation seems to always crop up in topics like this. Contending that 4K on a TV is "effectively" useless because of the distance element seems a bit of a reach if you ask me.

I haven't browsed the stats on average living room size lately, but I'm fully aware of the distance/resolution charts and took them in to account when I was making a TV purchase. Nonetheless, I have thousands of hours of use on two different OLED TV's, and the difference has definitely been there for me. I bounce between PS4 Pro and XB1X all of the time and have often played the same game on both (...not simultaneously). The difference in resolution between the console that renders at a native 4K vs. something like 1440p is rather noticeable (and certainly more so with something like 1080). The maximum benefit's certainly achieved much closer for UHD than HD, but it's absolutely a factor beyond that window as well.

Last edited by Max Cow Disease; 06-17-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Max Cow Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Cow Disease For This Useful Post: