View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Dual engine is a red herring at this point. DND has done the risk analysis and is ok with it. When the 18 was purchased engine reliability was much worse than it is these days. Not having to haul around an extra 3000 lbs of engine has serious benefits.

There is also talk in DND in keeping some of the current 18 fleet for the northern operations where a single engine may still be a concern, however the longer the delay in the F-35, the more likely it is we will be stuck with Super Hornets, not a terrible result but it sure doesn't put Canada near the forefront. A 15 year old design over state of the art.

This aircraft has to carry Canada beyond 2030, why would we start with an aircraft that debuted in 97?

Maybe an option would be a small fleet of Super's, say 20-30, and when the F-35 comes on line in 5 years grab 30+ of them. That is what we really need, multi fleets instead of one fleet fits all.
I don't think Canada could afford to have a mixed airforce, you would need two logistical services instead of one and two training programs for ground and air crews instead of one.

Plus a mixed airforce should be made up of different classes that are superior in their roles. For example the Airforce used the A-10 and the F-15, the Marines the Harriers and the F-18s. But even the American's are trying to amalgamate everything to one F-35 platform.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote