View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I am curious how Stockton will manage the AHL development rule this season.

For those who don't know:
Quote:
What is the AHL’s development rule?
In the AHL, player development is a top priority. The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association have the following development rule in place:

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

So to summarize:
12 skaters must have played less than 260 pro games
1 skater must have played less than 320 pro games (this slot known as the veteran exempt slot)
5 skaters who can have any number of games experience (these are known as veteran slots)

By my count pro games as defined above:
Quine 283
Rychel 273
Robinson 360
Graovac 317
Peluso 384
Ehliz 333
Taormina 561
Hogstrom 330

I believe everyone else on the Heat's roster has less than 260 games experience. This also potentially includes Lazar who sits at 258 games by my count.

So every game one of Quine or Rychel can occupy the veteran exempt slot and forces them to scratch at least 2 of the 7 remaining veterans.

Of course they don't have to fill all the veteran slots but that would mean a lot of scratched veterans.

Also injuries and call ups can play into this, but it looks like Stockton will have to manage this rule to begin the season.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-02-2018 at 08:54 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: