View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #570
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
In other tennis news, the ITF is going to transform the Davis Cup into a World Cup of Tennis:

LONDON — The Davis Cup is set to be transformed into a one-week, 18-nation World Cup of Tennis in a major overhaul of the international team event in the men’s game.

The International Tennis Federation says it has unanimously endorsed a proposal to create a new season-ending event in November starting in 2019.

The World Cup of Tennis would be played over seven days in the traditional week of the David Cup final, and comprise a round-robin format followed by a quarterfinal knockout stage. Each match would consist of two singles and a doubles.

Sixteen teams would automatically qualify for the finals and two more would be selected.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/davis...ld-cup-tennis/
I don't like this, I don't like that it will be indoor hard court all the time. Takes away strategy from other countries in deciding where to play. Also, Davis Cup was one of the few tennis events that occasionally made its way to Alberta, now I highly doubt the World Cup of Tennis will come back.