View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 02:51 PM   #322
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I partially agree. Where I disagree is attributing that to the whole team. These games have been close. It’s just not a full team approach. Certain big stars refuse to move outside their comfort zone physically. They have as good of a forward group as any to some degree. But the mix of that top end talent is such that they don’t get gritty at all. They know they’re finesse players and they will not do any physical plug work even if it’s the playoffs. Marchand and Pasternak will grind it out against the boards. As your top players you need guys to do that in the playoffs. Marner avoids it, Matthews prefers just using his stick and playing keepaway but won’t come in barrelling, and Nylander is out (and he does do that when needed). So nobody on the elite side is filling that role when you need all to do it. Tavares has been good in that regard as well as Knies. Their defence truly hasn’t let them down. It’s just their elite guys sticking to their comfort zone which to me is the problem.
Matthews has been fine in terms of physicality, but yeah Marner and Tavares are definitely not gritty.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1783491027925688738
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote