View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #1035
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1crunch View Post
I'm a teacher. I took a two-year unpaid leave and I'm just starting my second year of that leave now. I'd been wrestling with quitting/retiring/whatever for a long time and the pandemic basically gave me the impetus to walk away. I've basically been a stay-at-home dad for the last year.

I took a leave of absence to give me options in case I decided that I wanted to go back, but at this point I don't know. I will say, that I don't think I would have done this without the events of the pandemic.

Also at my rural Alberta school we had 6 retirements last year out of a staff of 15. That is ridiculously high for us. While they were all at retirement age, several of them were still relatively young and had expressed interest in teaching for years to come. At least 3 of them I can 100% say, left due to the events of the pandemic.
People retiring at retirement age doesn't seem that surprising to me. Especially from a job where you get 80% of your top salary until the day you die. You'd be nuts to not retire.

Are you at retirement age? If so, go for it and enjoy your life. You'll never have to worry about putting food on the table or gas in your tank with that guaranteed pension. No point in labouring if you don't need to.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote