View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I wish the guy was in Jail but if the court system screws up and gives you a racist judge why is that the defendants problem. That seems like societies failure to provide a proper trial.
I don't think that's a very strong argument. Aside from the fact that "Well the system that is supposed to ensure justice for a victim failed this this victim, so no justice for them" is exactly the kind of thing the system should be set up to remedy, the reason the system failed in this case is an even stronger argument for their to be a method to remedy the error. It wasn't a procedural issue, it was a judge being a racist jerk.

If this was a case about murdering a black man, and there happened to be a racist judge who ignored evidence, no reasonable person would make that argument. The fact that the racism wasn't directed at a defendant, but at a witness is no reason to excuse it, and say "Well, better luck next time".

I'm not at all implying that you think it's okay that the judge was racist, or that you share his views.
I'm just pointing out that the fact that this is going to another trial because if it, is a sign that the system is working as it should, despite a terrible prior issue.