View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #306
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been reading up on what was happening in Turkey during WWI and into the early 20s.

One of the great heroes of Turkey is Mustafa Kemal aka 'Ataturk'. I would put this figure somewhere between Hitler and Mussolini in terms of atrocities. Prior to WWI, western Turkey was about 50% Turks, and 50% other nationalities (mostly Greek and Armenian), and although there were tensions, they relatively lived in peace. The city of Smyna was so multicultural it makes Canada look like a hick backwater.

Well, before Ataturk achieved full power, the Armenian genocide took place, and afterward there was a Greek genocide followed by a Christian genocide. It was encouraged that Christian women be raped, so that their children could be raised as true Turks. These days, non-Turkish people in Turkey are a small minority. It is the greatest achievement in ethnic cleansing in modern history.

I don't know why this isn't taught in schools here, but I'm sure it's taught in Greece.

Once the Hagia Sofia was turned into a mosque, and Turkey enlisted Russia to intervene in Libya, it is easy to see what Turkey is planning to do. They are building religious fervor, eliminating the biggest rival in the area by gifting oil fields in Libya.

They are going after Armenia.

They forgot that Greece has a long memory.

I recommend (out of what I've read) a book by Giles Milton (meticulously researched) called Paradise Lost, Smyna 1922, The Destruction of Islam's City of Tolerance.