View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been doing quite a bit of research as I plan on buying one soon and I just don't see the point of 1080p yet. Broadcasters are having enough bandwidth issues pushing out content at 720p... maybe one day they'll figure out their issues and work on pushing out 1080p content, but that's not going to happen for at least 3 years.

You're sitting far enough away that you honestly won't notice 1080p on a 50" unless you've got better than 20/20 vision, although if you want to get a 1080p set just to stay current I can understand, but just go to a store and eyeball a couple of sets of similar build quality but one being 1080i and one being 1080p.... see if you really notice the difference.

I really like the Pioneer you've got listed, the 5070 has gotten rave reviews, but just to offer you a cheaper alternative:

Panasonic 50" plasma

My buddy has the TH50PX60 (last years model) and the standard definition channels look great and HD of course looks amazing. He has no real complaints as it's got all the inputs he needs. The picture quality on the Pioneer is better, but I don't think it's $1000 better.

Edit: one other thing, the MRSP prices that futureshop has listed, you can probably bargain a HD/PVR tuner out of them with the TV for a package deal for relatively cheap. Just don't let them push monster cables on you, it's ridiculous how much of a markup they have on them and that's where they make a lot of their money.

Go to monoprice.com and order your cables there. I ordered cables and a wall mount from them, my package was here in a week, the cables are great quality, and you'll save at least $200.

Last edited by Old Yeller; 03-30-2007 at 03:50 PM.