Thread: Cycling Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #73
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Wife is headed to her local shop today to get fitted properly and look at a few differnte bikes. They have a couple of closeout any opinions on either of these bikes both are priced at $1000 and i figure i can bargin a bit more with them.

Cannondale Synapse Road bikes. Aluminum frames (made in USA), carbon forks, Shimano Tiagra 9 speed components

Cannondale CAAD8-6C, 2010 model, Aluminum Frame, Carbon Fork, Tiagra 9 speed, compact crank

Thanks for the help.
I have the Synapse myself (2011 Synapse 6, Tiagra components). It's a nice bike and I'm very happy with it. Cannondale's aluminum frames are some of the best around in terms of value for money, and the ride is very smooth.

The main difference between the CAAD and Synapse series is that the CAAD is intended more for racing -- it's a bit shorter, more sensitive steering and a more racing like stance. Often people will use it as a race training bike and use a full carbon bike for racing. The Synapse is also very fast but more suited for longer rides. $1K is definitely a good deal, I believe the MSRP is around $1.2K with the Tiagra components.