View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default My Struggles and How an ADHD Diagnosis changed my life

A few weeks ago I learned something that suddenly made my entire life make sense: I was diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

At nearly 40 years old, this was a revelation. My lifetime of chaotic "quirks" that I never seemed to be able to get a handle on, the extreme absent-mindedness, the disorganization, the way it takes me so much longer than most people to finish tasks, the way I struggled to absorb information and understand instructions, the inability to just sit still and unwind..... suddenly had an explanation.

That explanation led me to get help, and to understand that the challenges that have caused me so much shame and anxiety aren't flaws they're my brain wiring.

I wish I had known all of this a lot sooner.

Doing my own research after my sons diagnosis made me realize how one sided the myths about ADHD still are and how those myths may be stopping other people from getting the diagnoses, treatment and acceptance they need. The classic picture most people have of ADHD is of a troublemaking little boy/girl who can't sit still, probably does poorly in school, and explodes in fits of rage.

My ADHD effects me differently than that. Adsent-mindedness and disorganization have caused me big problems in my life. I've lost my wallet and keys more times than I can count, I have had lifelong issues remembering to make payments or meet deadlines without reminders. Not to mention the difficulties sitting still trying to relax, always fidgeting, my walking around in circles while on the phone, trouble engaging in quiet activities, being impatient daydreaming, messiness, poor organization skills, forgetfulness and losing things. I feel like a hummingbird at times unable to stop moving.

I've developed major anxiety trying to keep up at work, not being able to properly focus on administrative tasks causing me to procrastinate ultimately leading me to end up putting in extra hours and doing whatever I can to make sure no one finds out about my struggles.

What I didn't realize for all those years was that I have a classic case of what's now recognized as the combination presentation of ADHD with traits that fall in both the inattention and hyperactive-impulsive behaviours.

ADHD is often seen as a controversial concept. Many people still believe that it's just an excuse for laziness, or an invention by pharmaceutical companies, or simply the result of watching too much TV or eating too much sugar. But the research and science is clear: ADHD is a very real neurodevelopmental condition, and it has a lot to do with genetics.

And these genetics are often framed as a flaw or deficiency, which is unfortunate, because I've discovered that this kind of brain wiring actually comes with a lot of gifts.

For example, studies have found that people with ADHD tend to be highly creative thinkers, who may find new ways of approaching a problem that others hadn't thought of. And because people with ADHD have what some call an "interest-based nervous system," we can become extremely passionate about learning every possible fact about a topic or idea we're interested in as well as lots of random facts that make us ringers on trivial pursuit night at the bar.

For a Salesman like me, that's also a pretty useful skill professionally as well. I know and learn more about my products than most of my end users and there aren't many times I can’t help them when they call.

There's no question that having ADHD can be extremely difficult, and diagnosis and treatment can be life-changing. At the end of the day, so much of what makes life hard for neurodivergent people has nothing to do with us it's just that society wasn't built to accommodate our ways of thinking and behaving. But with a combinations of now understanding how I am wired, medication and the occasional therapy session things are looking better than ever in my personal and professional life.

And my hope is that the more the myths and stigmas about our conditions can be talked about and brought to light, the further we'll be able to shift towards a culture that makes room for every kind of brain and individual. And with an estimated 90% of adults with some form of ADHD remaining undiagnosed I hope my story possibly helps someone else's life change down the road.

Last edited by Gundo; 07-20-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post: