View Single Post
Old 04-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #69
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
He uses his edges like a figure skater does. I know I've seen him do it before, but it never really clicked before just how much he uses it, and that he literally practices it.

If he doesn't become the Gary Roberts of skating coaches when he retires, I feel like a lot of NHLers will be missing out. He's fast as hell when he needs to be, but he's a master at the intricacies of staying on his feet, evading contact, creating space, keeping his body facing the play while moving to where he needs to be.

For as long as I can remember, it's been 'keep your head on a swivel." Well I think a better argument can be made for keeping your entire body on a swivel.

I've always wonder how come more hockey players in the younger levels don't do more figure skating lessons/practice to work on their skating ability to make them more agile and balanced? Don't have to necessarily learn how to do triple axels, but adopting their skills that makes them glide around the ice effortlessly would benefit them considerably. Aside from stick skills, skating is the more important skill a player can have. It's what make players like Crosby, McDavid, and McKinnon so damn dangerous.

I hope the new generation of players coming are much stronger skaters as a result of the top players in the game being fast. Making the game increase it's pace due to faster play, and more displays of skating abilities would make it even better to watch.

EDIT: Mangiapane needs to watch this video.

Last edited by Joborule; 04-17-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote