View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 01:22 PM   #2004
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
The AAV is bad, but it's term that's the true deal killer. Bennett is up for a small renewal in a season. Smith is probably gone. Stone is gone the offseason after that.

Why are you so fixated on Carey Price? Why not another high end goalie?

Rinne, Bobrovsky, MAF and Varlamov are all UFA when Smith is done after this season, and I'm pretty sure at least two are going to test the market. If Calgary is able to make any noise next playoffs then we would be a very attractive destination for a high end UFA goalie.
I'm fine with another high end goalie, we were talking about Price.

I don't know where goalies became so undervalued - star goalies are star goalies. Yes, they can be inconsistent and have their bad stretches. But they also have it in them to, on more nights than not, be absolutely unbeatable.

Think of Kipper. Not perfect by any means. But had it in him to be the best in the world at any given moment. That's what you need from a goalie. We had forty games of it last year, and it was a strange experience. I had genuinely forgotten what it feels like to have an established number 1.

I just don't blame the goalie for the organizational tire fire that is the Montreal Canadiens. Prime Hasek couldn't do anything with that pail of pig slop. When I hear stories about Price wondering if the fans hate him, that tells me the guy needs a fresh start and playing in Montreal for a decade has been emotionally exhausting.

I began all of this by saying we won't get him, but I truly think Price, even with all his question marks, is a better gamble than any of the other available options. He might cost as much as Bobrovsky, who is not signing here.