Thread: 2018 World Cup
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #3130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
There's been some pretty decent 3rd place games. 2002 between South Korea and Turkey was actually a really good game. Iirc 2006 and 2010 were both decent games.

This was the worst 3rd place game I can remember, and honestly makes me think less of especially Englands players. Belgium wasn't great, but they didn't need to push because they had the lead and England just sucked so bad. Belgium still least counter-attacked with energy late in the game and could easily have scored more with a bit more luck/finish.

I get not caring when it's like with Netherlands in 2014. Many of the same players had just reached the final in the 2010. A bronze just isn't going to feel special.

But this was a chance for England to get the best World Cup result in 52 years, and they just bombed.
Thats the thing though, England and Belgium probably thought they could have and should have done better so 3rd place was a disappointment whereas that Turkey match in 2002 was uncharted territory for both nations and they both wanted to win.

Today is going to be good though. I want Croatia to win but I just think the French are too good, so it'll take a master-class from the Croats.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote