View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #1291
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
What do you mean, it is waterproof..........
It's IP67 dust and water resistant, not waterproof. The problem is that the media and consumers don't know the difference. Its generally a rating of water resistance at 1 meter depth so if you drop your phone in the deep end of the pool, it's not guaranteed to be water tight.

The stuff about the headphone port needing to be removed to get this rating is marketing falsehood. Older phones like the Samsung S5 were already IP67 with an exposed headphone port.

As an audiophile - as far as all the stuff about the 3.5mm stereo minijack (TRRS connector to be specific) goes, that is all you need for a very high level of audio fidelity. The actual quality of audio depends on the digital signal processor, digital to analog converter (DAC), and the listening device (headphones, stereo-preamp, reciever, etc.) so everybody's experience will differ with different hardware. There's no apples to apples to oranges comparison here. Traditionally, most of the versions of the Bluetooth standard have been substandard with compression, loss of dynamic range, interference, etc. but newer standards are getting better. With technology improving we will get to a point where we have greater than CD quality audio over wireless.

Like Steve Jobs however, while I will listen on Bluetooth headphones at work, I go home and listen to analog music on a multi-thousand dollar setup so I don't really care about music on mobile phones.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-08-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: