View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
There are only, what, 30 NHL refs? They all have engrained biases and many are still part of this "game-management" style that goes on. I'm willing to bet there are 30 other people in the world who can be quickly brought up to speed with hard and fast lines on what penalties are and how to call them without previous habits leaking back in.

Even if not, the current group of refs have proven to be incompetent.
People have been complaining about officiating since time began. Or at least since competitive sports began. Every single sport has those who say the officiating is he worst among all the other sports. So someone is dead wrong.

Its no worse now than it ever has been. They see, or don't see, things at game speed. Everyone at home is watching in a confined window with multiple angles and slow motion.

Mistakes are going to happen every single night because those making the decisions are humans and humans make mistakes...full stop.

The NHL has the best hockey officials in the world for the most part and an established, and lengthy, training program before they get to the show. Yes there will be missed calls, always has been and always will be. Yes some guys have really bad nights, always have and always will. They are just people like you or me and people are not perfect. Players fall under that same umbrella.

I know this is not a popular observation but its just the truth of the matter.

Anyway,

Here is a website of who's who.

https://www.nhlofficials.com/nhl-officials/current