Thread: Public "Art"
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #55
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Haha! We drove by that yesterday on our way to Banff and i thought it was unfinished construction! What they were making i had no idea, but i also had no idea this was art either.

I have to agree with Chu on this one as well. If you want a Blackfoot cultural piece, then commission a Blackfoot artist or artists. They could've taken that stupid Teletubby ring in the NE and turned into a nice Hoop Dancing piece.

I am all for public art, but i believe it needs to be local. If you can't find it locally, then provincially (Edmonton excluded of course E=NG). Failing that, Canadian. But I don't think we need to go any further than that.

I am guessing it's a prestige thing, "Look at this piece it's from New York, New Yorkers know art. It really symbolizes the struggle of the Blackfoot nation...or the four seasons...or their struggle with the seasons or something. New Yorkers really understand the Blackfoot culture!"
I disagree that it needs to be local. The bow head is really cool. Hire the best not the closest. I do agree though if you are making something culturally representative hiring a person of that culture is important.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote