View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #394
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And if they truly believe they are better off shorting production because the only way they'll sell their sets is to create fake demand, then they are royally screwed as a company long term. The bubble always bursts. First the scalpers will get screwed and when they stop buying, Lego will be too.
Lego has two main problems:

1) 3-D printing; and

2) The fact that their product, which has been produced for one set, is completely interchangeable with its product which has been produced for another, completely different, set.

The 3-D printing problem is, at the moment, a more long-term problem for Lego.

But the inherent interchangeability of Lego has always been something that Lego has tried to work around (hence the releasing of "new" sets, which---for the most part---are just reworkings and reconfigurations of previous sets, but in new colors or slightly different variations).

Which is why I'm not really understanding the scalping argument or the shorting of production argument. You can essentially buy any set(s) or bag(s) of Lego and recombine them into anything else---including the set that you can no longer purchase on the open market. That's the beauty of Lego.

Sure, there may be a few rare or no longer made parts, or colors of parts that are no longer in circulation, that may complicate your build, but you can work around that.

I mean....the Saturn V set was initially someone's creation, using parts that they found in general circulation. So why do you need to specifically buy the official Lego Saturn V set to essentially build the same product?

I agree that it might be nice to get the bound instruction book and all the parts in one box and from one, quick purchase...but there are other ways to create the Lego set that you want.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote