View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #393
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
it would be one thing if you were being wordy for the sake of being wordy and lording your suposed intellectual superiority over someone...but this is literally just using a concise word that has an applicable meaning in the given context

intentionally dumbing down the conversation and using a bunch of words to describe a thing instead of just saying the thing just seems pointless to me, but im apparently in the minority here
I wouldn’t say it’s pointless, in fact, if you want to be universally understood it’s essential. There’s a reason why newspapers are written at a 9th grade level (or around that). And it’s a reason why a lot of things meant to be understood by a wide variety of people are written in plain language. You want people to understand you.

If there were an academic circle, sure. And I’m not really opposed to big vocabularies or the rules of logic and debate, but writing for your audience is important and some of the most intelligent thinkers and best writers out there are very good at it.

But using ten dollar words or trying to apply rules of logic which most of your audience doesn’t care about (on a hockey message board, for example) is at best lazy. At worst, pretentious. It’s just self serving. But there’s also nothing wrong with that. You do you! It’s just a losing battle when everybody is playing by different rules.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: