View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #198
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I just want the best bang for my buck so to speak. I'm not sure what the best way to go is. Just sick of paying $90/month for sat. (Live in country)
The combination of unblock-us, netflix, and hulu-plus is really a powerful solution: netflix for all of the past seasons of TV shows and a decent movie collection, and hulu-plus for current TV shows. The whole solution costs you about $20 bucks a month. We went from paying $80 a month on Shaw for our cable, to this $20 solution, and other than live sports, we get everything we watched before, and probably more.

The problem is that hulu-plus requires an american credit card (or at least requires you to make it think you have an american credit card. There are tutorials about how you can do this: http://o.canada.com/technology/perso...lus-in-canada/.
I can't vouch for this process because we have a US card. If you don't want to go through that hassle, then Plex might be a better solution for you, because you can get all the different networks as 'channels', something that you can't do on apple TV. Although setting up all the channels on plex can be its own hassle.

I can't say which is better between an Apple TV and roku. We've got an apple TV, which I went with because it was going to give the best integration with my music collection that's all stored on itunes match, something roku didn't seem to do, at least at the time that I was buying it. Other than Apple ecosystem services like itunes match, I can't think of any reason to go with it over the roku.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote