View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #77
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That is all one huge leap of faith, especially given the widespread disagreement with Feaster on this (Gillis said he knew about it, Daley did, at least at first, many writers said it was apparent). Basically what you are saying is that Feaster's thought process was:

a. This is an ambiguous clause.
b. I like our interpretation. The league might view it differently.
c. I'm not going to check - rather, I will take a chance and if I'm wrong I think the league will just change its mind and take my side because of backlash.

BTW, IIRC the actual clause 13.23 was never changed and isn't ambiguous at all. What Feaster hung his hat on was the transition provision in the MOU which exempted certain players from the 13.23 rule:

All Players on a Club’s Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing.

For further clarity, if Club A trades such a Player to Club B and Club B signs the Player to an SPC, such Player will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23.

BUT ROR wasn't on the Flames' Reserve List nor was he on their RFA list. He was on the Avs' RFA list. I really don't see the ambiguity.

One other thing: Feaster and ROR's agent were saying two things at the time. Feaster said they discussed it and the agent said they didn't:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/c...s-didnt-match/
Thanks

I could have sworn that there was an article afterwards that said the issue was clarified in the CBA that the player would not have to clear waivers as the Flames understanding.

You are right though that it is very clear now:

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such
Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote