View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well there is that, and I agree with that idea to a point. I know I would want to stop certain businesses from setting up shop next door to mine. An adult video store, 'massage' parlour, etc. are legal, but hardly what I want located next to my business. Those are extreme examples, but I think that there is still a free-market argument in those cases as well?
And that is where regulation meets the market. I think pure free market is the road to ruin but in the case of likes, liquor stores, fill your boots. Is it more harmful to have a XXX store beside other businesses? If yes, they are not allowed. That is the role of the planning dept of the local municipality. As horribly inefficient as they may be, they are critical.

In your job, for example, which is also my industry, an unfettered free market would result in absolute ruin for all but the very few in a very short time. Regulations allow you to make a nice living, provide a valuable service and protect the vulnerable. All while allowing capital to be available to the "free market" types.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post: