View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #267
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update... 6 weeks in, down 14 lbs, though that wasn't the goal. Feeling great. Have really settled nicely into eating eggs, meat, veg, nuts, cheese, bone broth and dark chocolate. Eating a lot of dessert - my wife has found/improvised some great keto desserts, so really enjoying this. I would say the best so far is the raspberry crumble pie that she adapted for keto (almond flour and Swerve instead of regular flour and sugar) with Devonshire cream. Pecan pie was really good too. Cheesecake next on the list. Don't miss carbs at all, aside from an occasional longing look at Montreal Bagels sesame bagels.
Interesting note. My friend is an amateur baker and makes fantastic bread... she dropped off a sourdough baguette yesterday, so I though "ok, I have to cheat a little - just 25 grams (2 slices) and only 10 g of carbs". Delicious, but got a bit of an upset stomach a little while later and then keto flu-like feeling for a couple of hours. I guess I am completely keto adapted now - no more grain for me. OTOH, Sissons was right - if I make some rice and leave it in the fridge overnight, and then add an egg and make fried rice the next day, no ill effects at all, and not filling either. Mind you, I only had it a few times in small quantities - not like I was putting away a whole bowl. But for those looking to be less stringent, this is a nice hack. Same thing applies to RUSSET potatoes, if you want to have them refried or as potato salad the next day, though I have not been doing that yet.
My wife has basically gone to semi-keto, where she eats reduced carbs (mostly just sour dough bread with breakfast) and she seems happy with that. I noticed if she has too many carbs (like a Montreal bagel) or especially later in the day, she doesn't feel well either.
Apparently, if you know you are going to eat some carbs, taking berberine 30 mins beforehand is helpful. I promised to have some risotto with friends this weekend, so I will see if that works. Also, acetyl L carnatine is apparently another good anti-insulin/fat burning supplement. Do your own research (my source is Andrew Huberman, the Stanford neuroscientist/researcher).
Oh, and drinking wine every day throughout. Moderately - 0.5 to a full glass with dinner every day.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Last edited by VladtheImpaler; 06-01-2021 at 03:02 PM.
VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post: