View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Anyone speak Russian?

TL;DR - Aeroflot screw-up sends me passenger info for Russian family flying to Italy, for the hell of it I have tried reaching out to them on Facebook (21st century version of finding a letter in a bottle?) and am now trying to discern something about the guy from a meme he posted.

So, I have an email account I use mostly as a spam magnet that happens to use a Russian surname. It's actually named after one of the Russian Aircraft Bureaus that produced combat aircraft in WWII, as I created it years ago when I spent more of my free time flying aircraft simulations online.

Recently I started getting emails from Aeroflot with itinerary information including names, passport numbers, booking codes, flight numbers, the works. I thought it might be one of those phishing scams where they want you to click some link and then divulge personal info, but I separately browsed to Aeroflot and used the booking code and last name to confirm that it's actually a real flight. Dude, his wife and adult daughter are going for a pretty thorough trip around Italy at the end of the month.

For the hell of it, I tried looking him up on Facebook and I think I have found him. He looks in his mid 40s and a limited number of friends include people with the other two names in the booking. I sent him a friendly message suggesting he ensure Aeroflot has the right email on file in case he's relying on email alerts for flight delays, and wished him a pleasant trip. His facebook feed is pretty boring (mostly landscape pictures and watercolour paintings) but there was this meme that piqued my curiosity:

https://goo.gl/images/fQpPwM *I suck at image tags apparently

I google image searched it and that raised my curiosity even further, because the top link is the wikipedia page about a municipality in the north east of Ukraine, i.e. where the Russians have been behaving very badly in recent years.

Now I really want to know what this meme says, especially if (assuming?) this guy never writes me back.

I should add that due to Aeroflot's screwup I have the ability to select from "Asian vegetarian meal", "Children's set", "No Sugar added Meal" or "Fruit Platter" for their four hour flight from Moscow to Rome. Not that I would do that of course, but some vestigial part of my brain was briefly tempted...

Last edited by RoadGame; 07-16-2018 at 11:38 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote