View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 01:17 PM   #28
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Thanks again everyone for your comments, tips, and well wishes. We have all made it back safe and my Dad is recovering at home. The doctors here were very complimentary of the care he received on the ship and in Ushuaia. Now we just need to sort out insurance claims. Fortunately, the biggest expense, the hospital bill, was directly billed to the insurance company.

It was an interesting trip, with a few hick-ups, including lost luggage on the way down and over six hours on the tarmac in Mexico City on the way back. I got a little bit of a taste of life in southern Argentina hanging out with one of the guys who worked for the medical clinic taking care of Dad. He told me going out for beers with me was part of the service. With their hyperinflation and variable exchange rates, prices seemed to be all over the map. Mostly I paid with a credit card, but I did go to one currency exchange that seemed a little sketchy. For $100 USD, he gave me $1,000,000 AGP in $1000 bills. I resisted the urge to hold it to my ear like Evander Kane.

This part for me is really important and interesting. There are a lot of healthcare workers and healthcare systems in other parts of the world that are absolutely fantastic. We sometimes get caught into the classic Canada vs America debates about Canadian superior healthcare because everbody has coverage and we don't pay significantly out of pocket.

We have plenty of healthcare system nightmares in Canada that makes us look like we are a very poor and disorganized country. I am glad he is recovering well. What are the next steps? Is he looking at heart bypass surgery or something?
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote