Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #637
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I was running into a situation like this at my place as well. Everything went bonkers and haywire at a specific time each day and the speeds would drop to the point where nothing transfers (thus I have no wifi or ethernet).

A Shaw tech I spoke with had me reset the modem in a very specific manner. I don't recall off the top of my head what method I used (as I spoke with several tech and used several methods), but I do recall him saying that the method to reset must be that method, because they had been testing modems and noticed that certain reset methods was not resetting the cache or memory in the modem or something. I thought he was BSing me and just doing the typical, "did you restart the hardware?" spiel at first, but after doing that reset, it did seem to resolve the issue (the other methods didn't) and I haven't had issues with speed drops or complete disconnections.

I think it was a combination of disconnecting the optical cable, pushing the reset button for 30 seconds, then disconnecting the power cable, waiting 30 seconds and reconnecting everything or something.

I've done the hard hard reset like you outlined, I had to for me to even get back into my modem because I forgot the password I also had them re-provision my service to make sure the back end was set up properly for me. Either way those didn't work either, so I'm still just testing periodically and building the patterns for the shaw tech on saturday, it remains consistent, currently 160 on wifi 20ft from router, 120 on VPN. Tonight I expect that will be next to nothing (last night TV wasn't working again, but all day it was)