Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #624
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm gonna crosspost a post of mine from another forum, maybe some of you aren't on both and maybe someone here has insight. I'll just post them both and then maybe people can give me their thoughts?

Quote:
I'm curious if Shaw has started throttling some addresses. I've been having buffering the last couple days on my IPTV service (Eternal), and slow quality ramp ups on Netflix, and lots of trouble with Kodi and buffering (with Real Debrid integration). Thought maybe Eternal was finally going to ####, so I grabbed a month of Vaders/Beast just to test, and sure enough same problem. Speed test my Firestick and I get 140Mb/s, which is good for where it is relative to the router. Streams start out good and run for a few seconds then start buffering, same with downloads of the APK's from these services, they start super fast and then slow to a crawl. Thought it was all 3 of the services going to ####, factory reset my router, placed everything different, analyzed channels, etc etc. No fix and same problem. Went to the support groups, no other issues reported. Had no other way of testing against anything, have 5 sticks and all behave the same, then thought to try it on my cell phone and had not a single issue with buffering or speed. Firmly suspect Shaw of doing stuff now (GF said she was able to watch fine this afternoon, but also had troubles last evening).....Anyone else?
Quote:
So something is definitely up with the service. I had a pretty negative interaction with a shaw chat tech yesterday who accused everything but the service, my routers, my devices, having too many connected, etc. I went all the way right down to the studs, unbridged my modem and connected LAN to it and factory reset it, still great speedtest results, but whenever I try any of Kodi (with debrid), vaders, beast, eternal they all fail to work properly. I even went out and purchased an Nvidia Shield because every time I brought it up all I got was "firesticks are ####, thats your problem". Funny, the shield behaves the same. If I hotspot my Shield or Firesticks off of my phone I can watch anything flawlessly (phone speedtests at 290Mbps), and nearly instant. Switch back to shaw (even hardwired) I get buffering, and kodi won't even start a source streaming after finding them all. Clearly its a back end issue. Just for fun I redownloaded the apk's I use, and noticed that anything tied to the domains that the IPTV services feed off of would CRAWL through a download (about 4 minutes for a 50mb file). Downloading the same file on my phone or public wifi, nearly instant. I noticed that the bigger files, 90mb ones, start fast for the first 15mb or so, and then take forever for the last 75mb, consistent with what I see when I load channels or kodi, the first few secodns buffers up fast, then just gets too slow to maintain the stream. Again, through the support groups for these, there are no other problems and I can reproduce problem free service if I eliminate shaw. ####in frustrating.