View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #102
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The tier below this could be pretty expansive (Forsberg/Fedorov to Francis/Dionne to Trottier to Thornton to Modano to Mikita to Clarke to Hawerchuk to Malkin/Kopitar/Toews/Getzlaf/Datsyuk, etc.)...my question is, has Bergeron distinguished himself from this group, as I'd argue Sakic, Yzerman, and *puke* Messier did?
Has he distinguished himself from that group? I wouldn't even put him in that group.

Messier, Yzerman and Sakic all have Conn Smythes to go along with their Hart Trophies and Ted Lindsay awards.

Fedorov was Selke level defense while still a threat for the Art Ross (finished second behind some guy named Gretzky one year he won the Selke).

I think I might underrate Bergeron. I mean it's no small feat to be nominated for the Selke 9 years and going. He's won pretty much everything including a game 7 Stanley Cup Winning goal on the resume. But has he ever been even a nominee for the Hart or Lindsay? Like I think his highest placing was fifth one year for the Hart, and never really close any other year (prepared to eat crow though). Heck, I don't think he's even been named to the Second-Team All-Star. I think that's pretty telling.

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an extremely good player that I would have killed to have on the Flames. But like I don't think of him when I think of that second tier of centers.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: