View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #106
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The way you fall in the rankings by graduating players is by graduating players at the same rate as every other NHL team but not graduating elite level players.

Maybe Valimaki is in that group this year, but he's not Cody Glass or Heiskenen or Carter Hart or Elias Pettersson etc etc.

Rasmus looks like he'll be a good solid player but he's not blowing the doors off the league, it just feels like it in Calgary because he's not Greg Nemisz.

It's really great that Dube looks like he'll be a player, maybe even a good one, but Sam Girard, Alex Debrincat have been in the league for 2 years. Other teams have players like Dube. Jordan Kyrou, Jesper Bratt, Joey Anderson, Sam Steel....

We just think it's remarkable because it's so rare in Calgary, but this is more or less business as usual around the league.

Calgary picks less than their peers though so it seems remarkable.
I think I'll have to disagree with you there. What other teams had 5 prospects graduate to play meaningful roles in the NHL last season? Even if other teams did, I have a hard time believing they were more successful than Calgary. We had an all rookie pairing for most of the year and they payed great- that's not insignificant.

I'm not trying to argue that Calgary should have been ranked at the top last year or anything, but I think it's fair to say that third last in the league was a poor ranking on his part.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post: